Buster N Me

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Saturday, February 24, 2007

Horror Stories

What is it about seeing a pregnant woman that makes people have the urge to tell the worst labour/delivery story they can think of? It seems that everywhere I go I get the classic "Ooooh! When is your baby due?" followed closely by "Is this your first?" Then, when I answer "Yes" they proceed to tell me about their 72 hour labour followed by an emergency c-section, with horrific complications, etc. etc. etc. Do they really think that I want to hear that? Do they not realize that I'm probably pretty scared already!?!?
I wonder if they even realize what they're saying? For example....
My husband took me out for dinner the other night. When we went to pay the bill, they waitress asked the first two questions (when's baby due? first baby?) She then said "Oh, I bet you hear a lot of horror stories" I said "Yes, I do, and I hate hearing them, I don't know why people have to tell me those kinds of things" She seemed to agree that it was inappropriate and a mean thing to do..... then she said "Yeah, when I was pregnant with my first my Mom told me this story about how she... blah blah blah" She actually started telling me the horror story!!!! Luckily for me, my husband is aware that I have been having this problem with people, and, the hero that he is, he stepped between the waitress and me and started asking her about the bill! He totally interrupted her, while blocking me from her view entirely! It was so rude but sooo funny! Thanks Jer! ;-)

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • Well let me be the first to say I had an easy labor with J-man - not even a whiff of gas/pain meds. Left the hospital within 3 hours, no problems breastfeeding, no complications.

    There is that evil club of women(and men) who like to tell horror stories about having a baby - ignore if you can!!! And make your hubby beat them up if that doesn't work! The more relaxed you are the easier having the baby will be.

    You'll do great!!! Enjoy the time off!

    By Blogger Ej, at 8:35 p.m.  

  • I will be the second to say that I had a very easy labor and birth with my first child. I had backache through the night, water broke at 6:30a.m. and she was born at 8;00 in the morning. She was very easy. My grandparents took me to the hospital, went to get coffeee and by time they came back up my little Jasmine was born. And my other two births were easy to. Hope that makes you feel better.

    By Blogger Summer, at 1:33 p.m.  

  • Thanks Ej & Summer! It's very refreshing to hear GOOD labour/birth stories!!! :-)

    By Blogger kristo, at 12:12 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 

Click Here